Diem Brown, who rose to fame as a competitor on MTV’s “The Challenge” series and later became an entertainment reporter, has died after a long battle with cancer. She was 32.
Brown first appeared on MTV as a contestant in the network’s 2006 reality show “Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat.” She went on to compete on several additional installments of “The Challenge” series.
In August 2014, during her eighth “Challenge” for MTV, Brown collapsed during filming and she later revealed she had been diagnosed with colon cancer. She worked as a blogger for People magazine as she received cancer treatments.
On Tuesday, she tweeted that her doctors were “giving up” but she was determined to fight the disease.
“I need prayers and advice my doctors are seemingly giving up but I won’t & can’t rollover. Whatever option I have to LIVE I’m grabbing!” she wrote.
Brown also founded MedGift.com, a registry to help those suffering from illness.
“Any item that can help reduce one ounce of stress, they can register for it,” Brown said of the registry in a 2012 interview with FoxNews.com. “It takes the pride out of asking for help.”
John Wayne’s son carrying on father’s work doing cancer research
“When we started this organization, we had no idea what would happen. But all these years on, and John Wayne is still very popular…and he is able to make a difference,” Wayne’s son Patrick told FOX411 at the annual John Wayne Cancer Institute Auxiliary (JWCIA) in Beverly Hills on Thursday. “His name still means a lot around the world.”
Even in his dying days, Patrick says his father remained strong and no one ever really thought his illness would claim his life.
He never complained, all he thought about was if he could help someone else,” he said. “We all thought he had it under control and was going to win this battle.”
Patrick and Wayne’s granddaughter, Anita Swift – Auxiliary President – joined hundreds of Los Angeles locals for a luncheon to honor oncologist Marilou Terpenning, MD and Dan Hay, president and CEO of Premiere Girls Fastpitch and Surf City Tourneys Inc.
Since 1981, Wayne’s family have been dedicated to pioneering cancer research in memory of their iconic father, supporting research to change the way cancer is detected, diagnosed and treated around the world.
Murdered California Army veteran never served in Afghanistan says military.
A Southern California Army veteran who was fatally shot over the weekend never served in Afghanistan, despite claims to the contrary by police.
Francisco Garcia, 21, was killed early Sunday outside his girlfriend’s house in Sylmar, in the San Fernando Valley. Los Angeles police initially said that Garcia’s girlfriend was throwing a party to welcome him home from serving in Afghanistan.
However, Julie Halpin, a spokeswoman for Fort Drum in New York, told the Los Angeles Timesthat Garcia worked as a cannon crew member at the fort. Halpin told the paper that Garcia enlisted in June 2012 and was discharged in July.
LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon told the paper that the department had not verified the details of Garcia’s military service because it was not an aspect of the crime or investigation.
An initial statement about the shooting issued by the LAPD described Garcia as “recently returned from Afghanistan.” Shortly after the shooting, Vernon told reporters, “The ironies are obvious … To survive as a soldier in an overseas conflict, only to be killed in your old neighborhood upon your return.”
It was not immediately clear who initially told authorities that Garcia had served in Afghanistan. Fernando Mora, a friend of Garcia, told the Times that the veteran had claimed to have lost several comrades-in-arms in Afghanistan.
“He came back alive,” Mora said. “So to die like this, it’s not right.”
On Tuesday, police arrested 18-year-old Vincent Estrada in Sylmar and charged him in connection with Garcia’s death. He has been charged with murder and is being held on $1 million bail.